Tuesday, May 19, 2009

music makes me happy.

I wasn't very busy at work today and so I managed to listen to a wide variety of music at my desk from my favorite online radio station, Pandora. Some of the tunes I listened to was old stuff that I just haven't caught onto yet and other music was from new aspiring artist who have a lot to offer in this world filled with notes of nonsense.

A few melodies that managed to ruffle my skirt:

Zee Avi "Bitter Heart" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0rafi5CG5M&feature=featured
She is refreshing, cute and surprising. Who would have ever thought that this early 40's voice would belong to an Asian bombshell...well take a listen and decide for yourself.

Citizen Cope "Sideways" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8cMy-Jmoso
A friend mentioned he was going to a Citizen Cope concert a couple weeks ago, never had I heard of him, so I figured I'd give it a listen. Much to my delight, I'm in love with everything this song does for me.

Matisyahu "Time of Your Song"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHJu_nCaNAw&feature=related
This is quite the interesting scenario, a Hasidic Jew beat-boxing in a reggaeish way that intrigues me profoundly. Who woulda thunk it? I dig this.



Me with Shiny Toy Guns - http://shinytoyguns.com/ (newer find)


I'm not sure if music is like our taste buds, ready for a change every 7 years but for me over the past couple of years I have started to connect with music in a way I never thought possible. While my appetite for music has changed a lot over the years and I've had an earful of everything from gangster rap to heavy metal and mountain jams, my current obsession is music that makes me feel like I can't be touched. I've always welcomed talent and I definitely enjoy everything music has to offer, but there is something about a song that can truly give me the feeling of something to hold onto - a feeling I can't quite explain, but let me try. This music has a hypnotic effect on me in times where I need it the most. It's as if I'm being detached from reality, just a little bit. Anytime I hear a song like this I get goosebumps, then of course write down the title or the artist so it's not forgotten. I feel good music has it's way of taking us out of a moment, putting us in one, or just making the moment we're currently in that much better. I'm embracing it, you should give it a try too. See what's out there.

No comments: